EPS

We are celebrating 20 years of preserving Effingham “one slice at a time.”                    

1999 – 2019


Home image: “The Grange” painting of the EPS building by Linda Hefner (2016)

The building served as Grange Hall No. 313 from 1913 until 1996. It was purchased from Chester and Grace Drake for $194.43. Chester had purchased the building in 1912 for $1.00 from Mrs. Belle Cate. The building sold again for $1.00, 90 years later, when the Preservation Society purchased it from the Town in 2002.

15 Seasons of Bake Sales!

This is how we raise funds – with home-baked goodies that taste like grandma made them because a grandma did make them!

With your support of our Saturday bake sales, special events, and your donations – we are preserving our building and other historic buildings and landmarks in Effingham.

4th Annual Drake’s Corner Street Fair

Saturday, June 22nd 9 – 2 RAIN OR SHINE Games, crafts, vendors, food, music, open house at several of the historic buildings. Squam Lakes Science Center Live Animal Program at 1:30 at the Historical Society. Field parking for the day’s events available near the library.

One Slice at a Time

Open Saturdays  9 – 12. Our opening weekend is 5/25/2019. Enjoy baked goods and conversation in the 200-year-old setting of the award-winning Weare Drake Store Building. Coffee’s on!

A building with a story

The Weare Drake Store Building was built circa 1816 by town founder, Weare Drake at age 78, and his 23 year old grandson, Thomas Parsons Drake.

Here the building is pictured in the 1870’s, we believe. The home in the background, also built by Thomas P. Drake, was inherited by his eldest son General Cyrus K. Drake.

Judge Thomas P. Drake (1793 – 1861) has as well been credited as the builder of the Masonic Temple (1858) – currently known as the Historic Town Hall – Public Library.

The above photo by Josephus L. Drake (second child of Thomas Drake) is part of the Effingham Historical Society Collection.

*